HOW TO PLAY RED ALERT ONLINE
Below is the official step-by step guide to playing Red Alert online, both the original version and from the C&C The First Decade compilation DVD.
- Download the network patch.
- Extract thipx32.dll to somewhere like your desktop
- Copy the patch file into the C&C 95 installation directory, by default this is located at C:\Westwood\Redalert or C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Command & Conquer The First Decade\Command & Conquer(tm) for The First Decade version.
- It should ask you to confirm the replacement of thipx32.dll, click yes.
- Download and install the Westwood Chat software.
Start the game. For TFD users, launch it from The First Decade menu:
Select Internet Game from the Main Menu. If you get a message stating that
you must install Westwood Chat and register an account, cancel the message and
press ALT + TAB to manually launch Westwood Chat:
Red Alert will minimize and Westwood Chat will launch.
Log in to Westwood Chat with your XWIS username - if you have played any C&C game in the compilation (except Generals) online since 2005, you have a username. If not, enter the username and password you would like to use and it will be registered for you. For more information see our online section.
If Westwood Chat does not launch,
manually launch it:
Create a game being sure to untick the "Tournament Match" option. Click the "Start the Game" button after the other
player has accepted the game options. In the picture below it is grayed, but it
will be clickable once your opponent has accepted the game options:
If you do not want to create a game, you can join a game instead by
viewing the open games in the right hand column. Click ‘Accept options’ when you
are ready to begin the game:
After the host launches the game both players will see Red Alert maximize with
the following message display:
Red Alert will then minimize again and Westwood Chat will display the following
Red Alert will then maximize and the user will be in game. If the game does not
maximize click the ‘Red Alert' taskbar button to maximize it: